Are you thinking of purchasing or opening a beauty salon or tattoo shop?
Or are you thinking of offering services that involve skin penetration or piercing such as ear piercing, acupuncture, or blood cholesterol and glucose measurement?
There are some important things you need to know.
- If it’s a new business or if you are planning a re-fit, you need to submit a development application, even for a home business.
- Your premises must be inspected by one of our environmental health officers before you can open.
- If you are purchasing an existing approved business, you need to notify us of the change of ownership.
- You need to know about hygiene standards and infection control practices to keep both workers and clients safe from infection. For example, even simple treatments can cause serious infections such as HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
See NSW Health’s Fact Sheet for:
- Tattooing and other body art
- Control of skin penetration procedures
- Skin Penetration Industry
- Beauty Treatment
Skin penetration legislation and codes of best practice include:
Do you have a concern or complaint about a beauty salon, tattoo shop or chemist?
If so, please contact us.
We need to know:
- the name and address of the salon or shop;
- the date and time of your visit;
- what you had done; and
- what you are concerned about.