All landfills have the potential to cause environmental harm. The most common sources are from water passing through the waste and becoming contaminated (leachate) and gases being produced from the waste breaking down. We manage and monitor leachate and gas production, together with the flow of stormwater, to ensure that the Bucketts Way Waste Management Facility maintains a high level of environmental protection.
This exceeds what we are required to do under our Environment Protection Licence.
Bucketts Way Landfill sampling point
Council staff take water samples at the following points:
- At the Leachate Pond
- Downstream of Roadway to Lot 143
- Upstream of the Bucketts Way at Dennes Creek
- Downstream of Beauly Road at Dennes Creek
You can view the location and more information about these sampling points.
Landfill water quality data
Water samples are collected quarterly at each site and are sent to National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accredited laboratory (Midcoast Water - Laboratory, Accreditation No.: 12902) for analysis of:
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD),
- Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD),
- Total Suspended Solids (TSS),
- Ammonia-Nitrogen, Nitrate-Nitrogen, Nitrite-Nitrogen and Oxidised Nitrogen.
All results are compared to the Australian New Zealand Environment Conservation Council’s (ANZECC) guidelines.
To view landfill water quality data, click on the following link: