Responsibilities of pet ownership

You've decided to own a pet!

One of the responsibilities of pet ownership, is microchipping and registration. This means we can find you if your pet strays or gets lost. You also need to let us know if your circumstances change and you move or you no longer own your pet.

Step 1 – Microchipping & identification (required by 12 weeks)

A vet or accredited implanter can microchip your pet and fill out a Permanent Identification form.  The vet or implanter will forward the form to Council to have your pet entered on the NSW Companion Animals Register. You will then be sent a Certificate of Identification and Lifetime Registration form.

Council's Rangers can also microchip your pet at our pound. To organise this, contact us. 

Cats born prior to 1 July 1999 must be microchipped, but they don’t need to be registered.

Step 2 – Registration (required by 6 months)

To register your pet, you need to complete and lodge the Lifetime Registration Form with us by the time the animal is 6 months old. We will issue you with a Certificate of Registration.

Some discounts apply for desexed animals and also for owners who are pensioners. To receive these you will need to present evidence by way of a desexing certificate or a pensioner card.

Lifetime fees for registering your pet are:

$195  cat or dog (not desexed)

$53    Desexed cat or dog

$22    Pensioner Concession for desexed cat or dog.

$53    Desexed/Breeders cat or dog

Your 'working dog' does have to be registered, however no registration fees apply. A ‘working dog’ means that your dog is used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock.

Guide dogs also needs to be registered, but no fee applies. 

Change of address or owner

You need to let Council know if you give away or sell your pet. If you change address you will need to complete the Change of Address Form. This should be done within 14 days of moving or penalties may apply.

It is the responsibility of the original or “old” owner to ensure the Change of Owner form is signed and completed by both parties. Changes of phone number should also be done on the Change of Owner Form. All forms together with proof should be mailed to Council. Alternatively, the whole process can be completed at Taree Council’s Administration Building in Pulteney Street.

Bought or been given a pet but have not received any paperwork - what should you do?

You need to have your contact details added to your new pet's profile in the Companion Animal's Register, for the future welfare of the  animal.

If you have bought or been given a dog or cat and you have not received any paperwork regarding the transfer of ownership on the NSW Companion Animals Register, you should contact the previous owner to ensure a Change of Owner/Details (C3A) form is sent to council.

If you can't contact the previous owner, you will need to complete a Statutory Declaration and submit this to Council.  We will add your details to your pet's information.  You will need to know your pet's microchip number.  Your vet can assist with this.